Minutes 17th March 2020

BISHOPSBOURNE PARISH COUNCIL

Due to the Coronavirus outbreak it was agreed that it would not be sensible or responsible to hold an open public meeting in Conrad Hall. Instead a Telecom meeting was arranged. Cllr Jordan kindly set this up and the meeting took place at the usual time on the day

A Telecom Meeting of Bishopsbourne Parish Council was held on Tuesday, 17thMarch 2020 at 7.30pm. Present:  Cllr R Prestige – Chairman, Cllr L Jordan, Cllr K Martin, & Mrs V McWilliams – Clerk.

There were two members of the public who listened in.

COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC

There were no comments from the public listening in.

COUNCILLORS’ REPORTS  

City Cllr Mike Sole submitted the following report:

The City Council has now agreed the budget for the forthcoming year. This includes charging for the collection of garden waste bins from June. As you will know I have opposed this charge as I believe that it will lead to more car journeys, more bonfires and less recycling none of which are good for the environment.

I was able to propose an amendment to the budget that was accepted. £30,000 will now be allocated to fund an additional parking enforcement officer and to set up a dedicated rural enforcement team.

My colleagues also proposed that an additional £5,000 be added to the Parish Council Capital Grants Fund, but this was not supported. With a consultation starting shortly on the future of Parish Council Concurrent Funding, I am very concerned that we will see further cuts in the amounts of money that Parish Councils receive from the City Council.

Having successfully had the white arrows painted on Bonny Bush Hill to remind drivers which side of the road to drive on, I was probably not alone in being shocked to hear that a lorry had recently driven from Coldharbour Lane to Wincheap along the A2 on the wrong side of the road. I have discussed this with the relevant agencies and been told that signage will be improved, and vegetation cut back to reduce the risk of this happening again.

 County Cllr Michael Northey sent the following report:

  1. Coronavirus. KCC updates its advice on the KCC website daily. Basically, it is the same as government advice, with a real stress on handwashing. On Friday, 6th March I was at a meeting of the Health Reform and Public Health Committee at KCC ( of which I am a member), and we had a long session being briefed and asking question with Andrew Scott-Clark, KCC Director of Public health, who you will have seen a lot on TV recently. I asked him two questions, how long before we got a vaccine? He answered that it would take at least 18 months to discover the vaccine and then to do the necessary tests that it was safe, and then went into production. He said it might take longer. So that is not an option at this stage. There is of course no community immunity, but as the virus becomes part of the furniture, over time it will be more easily protected against. My second question was, with the better weather and warmer days on the way, will that naturally have a good effect? He said yes, people have more resilience in warm weather and the virus is more vulnerable to sun and does not flourish so well. So that is a cause for optimism.
  2. Flooding. In my capacity as Deputy Cabinet Member for Environment I am now a member of a regional committee which meets four times a year, the Southern Regional Flood and Coastal Committee (SRFCC). This covers the south east of England from the Isle of Wight to Kent. It controls a budget of £60 million of the Environment Agency and does indeed do things like coastal defences and flood barriers. The chairman is Dr Martin Hurst, and I organised a visit by him with Martin Twyman ( Chairman), Jill Thomas (Secretary) and Alan Atkinson ( Vice Chairman) of the Nailbourne and Little Stour River Management Group (I was also at their meeting of Saturday 22 Feb). We met in the Red Lion, Bridge, on Wed 26 Feb in the afternoon. Jill showed him a video of the 2014 floods and gave him an overview of the whole system to the Great Stour and beyond. He paid real attention and promised to look into all issues we raised with him for flood defence.We praised the work of the City council, KCC and the EA. Then we went on a tour, and saw the water flood in the Causeway and South Barham Road in Barham, and then went to the Black Robin car park, got out and Jill showed him pictures of what the flooding had been like there in 2014. Dr Hurst will be returning on May 15 (virus permitting) for a trip down the Great Stour with Martin and others. All in all, it was a very profitable and helpful visit.

1.APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Cllr D Tapley & Cllr H Andrews sent their apologies due to a work commitments.

City Cllr Mike Sole sent his apologies due to a prior engagement. Cllr M Northey sent apologies as he was unwell.

2. MINUTES

The minutes of the meetings held on Tuesday 7thJanuary & The Extraordinary meeting held on 12thFebruary 2020 were approved and signed by the Chairman. Proposed by Cllr Martin; seconded by Cllr Prestige

3.MEMBERS’ INTERESTS

No notification by members was given of any pecuniary or personal interest in items

4.MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES

There were no matters arising from the minutes not on the Agenda

5. FINANCE

Lloyds Bank£12,565.65 (January 2020)

Monies out

Val McWilliams Clerk Salary £210.00 +office maintenance £80.00 plus Stamps £23.04

Total £313.04.

RDR Pest Management Moles Neame Meadow £76.00.

Stewart Rayner Overhaul three wooden noticeboards £240.00

River Group Management (Donation) £25.00

Grand Total £654.04

Agreement to approve payment of the expenses due was proposed by Cllr Jordan; seconded by Cllr Martin.

Renewal Insurance Notice – Came & Company – The Clerk had received the renewal invitation form from Came & Company for the insurance for next year 2020-2021. It was agreed depending on the quote to stay with the Company as they have given us very good deals in the past. The Clerk will apply for a quote.

The Clerk confirmed that we would be receiving £1949.10 Concurrent Financial Funding for 2020-21 in the first week of April. This is the last payment of the four-year agreement with CCC. Canterbury City Council have not confirmed what we might expect in the year 2021, details hopefully, will be forthcoming in June/July this year.

The Clerk will prepare the end of year accounts for approval at the next Parish Council meeting.

6. PLANNING

T.P.O. no 2, 1964 – T1) Lime Tree reduce by 30% located at the rear gate.

Land Opposite Bourne Park House, Bourne Park, Bourne Park Road,

Bishopsbourne, Canterbury, Kent, CT4 5BJ. Granted

CA/19/10371 Proposed sliding gate and support arches to rear of existing “five-barred”

entry gate from Woodgate, Mill House, The Old Saw Mill, Woodgate, Bishopsbourne, Canterbury, Kent, CT4 5JL Awaiting decision

  1. HIGHWAYS

The drains at the bottom of Frog Lane and Crows Camp Road have been cleared, with all the tinkering going on they seem to be holding up.

  1. NEAME MEADOW

The moles have now been removed from Neame Meadow.

  1. FLOOD AWARENESS

The drains are still blocked causing major sewage problems in The Street.  KCC have now got a lorry parked in The Street and they have started tankering again, first thing in the morning and again in the evening. Although this clears the drains, it is only a temporary measure, the moment they stop tankering everything fills up again. The ground water is so high that the sewage can’t clear. We have contacted Southern Water who now say they are looking for alternative ways of coping with the problem rather than pumping into the river. There is a suggestion that SW might put a Holding Tank at the top of Frog Lane and pump it further afield. We have heard nothing further despite numerous calls.

  1. PLACEMENT OF WASTE BASKET

The new waste bin outside the church is now in place but has not been emptied. The Clerk will chase SERCO and CCC know. There will be a bin placed by the entrance to Tadpoles café. The Clerk needs to register with CCC and SERCO to arrange for it to be emptied regularly. 

  1. WEBSITE

Cllr Jordan now has the website up and running. She has agreed to show the Clerk how to operate the site when things return to normal following the Coronavirus Pandemic.

  1. VE DAY CELEBRTIONS

It is looking very unlikely that any celebrations will go ahead. We have got a pencilled date booked for a luncheon with the Mermaid which we agreed not to cancel just yet as we are waiting for an official announcement that everything will be cancelled.

  1. ANNUAL VILLAGE MEETING.

This is official booked for 12thMay 2020, but it is on hold for the time being until we get official clarification regarding the holding of meetings

  1. LITTER PICK

The litter pick has been cancelled. If any volunteers would like to do one on their own, they will be issued with a bag, hoops and a picker. We advise people not to go with anyone else for safety reasons.

  1. VILLAGE SIGN

It was agreed by all to go ahead and get the Finger Post opposite the church refurbished. The Clerk will get a quote for rubbing down and painting also redoing the black wording.

  1. CORRESPONDENCE

Kent Voice

Field Work

Countryside Voices

EMAILS sent to all

Mike Sole Report

KALC Bulletin

KALC News

Little Stour & Nailbourne Management Group

Letter Chairman of Village Hall Society

Letter Andrew Cameron

  1. COUNCILLORS’ RESPOSIBILITIES

Cllr Prestige – Environmental Issues – Moles treated

Cllr Jordan –   Website The website is now been installed and is working.

Cllr Andrews – KALC-   Nothing to report

Cllr Tapley. –  Footpaths, Village Society Representative. Nothing to report

18 ANY OTHER BUSINESS.

The Clerk reported that both the notice boards have now been totally refurbished with excellent results.

CCC will deliver the bins for storing sandbags to Conrad Hall once the flood issues have been resolved.

A resident had written to the Council complaining about the size of the Aviva Stone factory at Court Lodge Farm. They have recently put up a huge advertising sign on the side of their building which is more than visible from not only Frog Lane but also the Elham valley road at the top of Frog Lane. The Council felt that before asking Aviva Stone to remove it they should seek guidance from the CCC

  1. NEXT MEETING

This would have been the Annual Village Meeting and the AGM. There is no fixed date yet as it is very dependent on the Coronavirus Pandemic and further advice from the Government regarding holding Council meetings.

The meeting closed at 8.25pm

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.